Employed at Aalborg University from 1994
- Born in Copenhagen, Denmark, 1947.
- Upper secondary school leaving examination 1965.
- Teachers’ certificate examination 1971.
- Secondary school teacher 1971 – 1987 (subjects: Danish, English, German, French, Latin and Mathematics)
- Part-time lecturer at the Danish University of Education 1977 – 1983.
- Basic course in Finnish language and culture 1980.
- MA (cand.phil.) in Danish Linguistics, Odense University 1985.
- Advanced course in Finnish language and culture 1986.
- Studies in philosophy at Odense University 1983 – 1987.
- Associate Professor in Danish Linguistics at the Department of Scandinavian Languages, Göteborg University, Sweden 1987 – 1994.
- Attended the Scandinavian course for researchers in Comparative Syntax at University of Lund, Sweden, June 1989.
- Attended the Fourth European Summer School in Logic, Language and Information at University of Essex August 1992.
- Director of an EEC student exchange network (ERASMUS) 1993 – 1994.
- Developed the course programme Scandinavian Studies in the Humanities, Göteborg University 1992 – 1994.
- PhD (Filosofie Doktor (Fil.Dr.)) in Scandinavian Languages 1994 at Göteborg University on a thesis on Scandinavian syntax: Deviational Syntactic Structures. A Constrastive Linguistic Study in the Syntax of Danish and Swedish.
- Lecturer (amanuensis) at Aalborg University, Denmark, August 1994 – March 1995.
- Associate Professor in Danish Linguistics at Aalborg University 1995 – . Primary subjects: grammar, semantics, phonology and phonetics, stylistics, history of the Danish language, the philosophy of language (natural and formal languages), Old Norse, Norwegian language, Swedish language and literature.
- Study Programme coordinator (‘studieleder’) for Danish Studies (Danish language, literature and media) Aalborg University 1996 – 1999.
- Member of Dansk Sprognævn (‘the Danish Language Council’) 1997 – 2003.
- Taught courses in phonetics and phonology for teachers in Danish as a Secondary Language during the spring semester 1998.
- Taught courses in phonetics and phonology for teachers for the deaf during the autumn semester 1998.
- Coordinator of the research project Danish Proficiency, Learning and Acculturation Attitudes: The Students at Dansk Flygtningehjælps Sprogskole in Aalborg 1998, funded by the local regional administration of Northern Denmark.
- Member of the steering committee (and Danish administrator) of NORDKURS (‘the Nordic course programme in language and literature’) 1998 – 2003.
- Lecturer at the Danish University of Education, the department in Aalborg 1998 – 1999.
- Linguistic advisor to the Rector and the University Director at Aalborg University 1998 – .
- External examiner in Danish Linguistics 1998 – 2006.
- Member of the Study Board for Danish Studies at Aalborg University 1999 – 2002 and 2005 – 2007.
- Director, Center for Linguistics, Aalborg University 1999 – .
- Director, The AAU [i.e. Aalborg University] Language School (AAULS), 2001 – 2013.
- Anonymous reviewer at the Nordic Journal of Linguistics 2001 –.
- Member of the steering committee of Sprogvidenskabelig Forskerskole Nord (‘the Linguistics Doctoral School of Northern Denmark’) 2002 – 2007.
- Member of an ad hoc committee on Danish Language Policy appointed by the Danish Rector’s Conference, autumn 2002.
- PhD-supervisor at the Danish University of Education 2002 – 2004.
- Research seminars in linguistics at Linköping University, Sweden, spring semester and autumn semester 2003.
- Peer reviewer at the Swedish Council of Higher Education 2003 – .
- Research coordinator of the project Hirtshals Kommunes Virtuelle Skole (‘The Virtual School of the community of Hirthals’) funded by the Danish Ministry of Education.
- Partner in the exchange programme International Leadership i Educational Technology (ILET) 2003 – 2004.
- Attended the 78th Annual Meeting of the Linguistic Society of America, January 8th –11th 2004, in Boston.
- Visiting Professor at University of Virginia, March 28th – April 24th 2004.
- Meetings with Noam Chomsky and Ray Jackendoff on April 9th 2004.
- External examiner at the National Study Programme in Danish as a Secondary Language 2004 –
- Member of the executive committee of the Nordic Association of Linguistics (NAL) 2004 – 2008.
- Lectures in natural language semantics and formal semantics at the Faculty of Sciences and Engineering at Aalborg University 2004 – 2007.
- Supervisor of an Irish PhD-student (subject: ‘distant learning of Irish Gaelic’), former Trinity College Dublin, enrolled at Aalborg University 2004. The PhD was not concluded.
- Member of the Academic Councel, Faculty of Humanities, Aalborg University, June 2005 – 2007.
- Advisory Editor of RASK, an internationel journal in linguistics and communication studies, from volume No 23 (2005–2006).
- Chair of the Organising Committee of the 22nd Scandinavian Conference of Linguistics, Aalborg University, 19th – 22nd June, 2006.
- Study Programme coordinator for Danish Studies (language, literature and media) June 2006 – January 2007.
- Member of Aalborg University Forskerakademi (‘research academy’) 2006 – 2007.
- Member of Spar Nord Fondens Forskningspris-bedømmelsesudvalg (‘The Spar Nord Research Award committee’) 2007 – 2011.
- By the Danish Rector’s Conference appointed chairman of the National Committee on Theoretical Linguistics concerning bibliometrical research assessment 2008 – 2013.
- Chair of the assesment committee on a PhD thesis on computational linguistics, Ulrik Sandborg-Petersen: Annotated text databases in the context of the Kaj Munk corpus: One database model, one query language, and several applications, Aalborg University 2008.
- Participated in the conference Roots of Europe. Language, Culture, and Migrations, University of Copenhagen 16-19 April 2009.
- Member of Dansk Sprognævn (‘the Danish Language Council’) 2009 – .
- Anonymous reviewer for the 2011 meeting of LSA (the Linguistic Society of America).
- Anonymous textbook reviewer for Cambridge University Press Jan 2011 – .
- Anonymous reviewer for the 2012 meeting of LSA (the Linguistic Society of America).
- Vice-President of the Nordic Association of Linguists (NAL) March 2012 –.
- Anonymous reviewer for the Nordic Journal of Linguistic (NJL, Cambridge University Press) April 2012.
- Anonymous reviewer for the 2013 meeting of LSA (the Linguistic Society of America).
- ‘Rapporteur’ and expert member of the ‘panel des sciences humaines auprès de CNCS Roumanie’ (the Romanian Ministry of Research, the National Authority for Scientific Research), in the 2012 Research Proposals Assessment Exercise.
- Expert member of the National Science Centre Panel SYMFONIA (exceptional established researchers proposals for interdisciplinary and cross-domain projects) for evaluation of research proposals 2013 carried out by the National Science Centre, Kraków, Poland.
- Reviewer 2013 for PLOS ONE (eISSN-1932-6203), an international, peer-reviewed, open-access, online publication. It features reports of original research from all disciplines within science and medicine.
- Member of the Editorial Board of Sprache & Sprachen published by GeSuS e. V. (Gesellschaft für Sprache und Sprachen, Jena) 2013 – .
- External examiner at the Danish Teachers’ Certificate Examination 2014 – 2018.
- Expert reviewer of proposals for the “Research within Priority Sectors Programme – RO14” invited by the ‘CNCS Roumanie’ (the Romanian Ministry of Research, the National Authority for Scientific Research) as evaluator in a spring 2014 Research Proposals Assessment Exercise.
- Expert member of the National Science Centre Panel SYMFONIA (exceptional established researchers proposals for interdisciplinary and cross-domain projects) for evaluation of research proposals 2014 carried out by the National Science Centre, Kraków, Poland.
- Supervisor of a PhD student, Júlia Trličová, at P. J. Safarik University, Košice, Slovakia 2014 –18.
- Anonymous reviewer for the 2015 meeting of LSA (the Linguistic Society of America).
- Expert reviewer at the National Science Centre OPUS funding scheme advertised by the National Science Centre, Kraków, Poland, March 2015.
- External examiner in Danish Linguistics, specifically Old Norse 2015 – .
- Chair of the Organising Committee of the 26th Scandinavian Conference of Linguistics, Aalborg University, 19th – 21st August, 2015.
- President of the Nordic Association of Linguists (NAL) January 2016 –.
- Anonymous reviewer for the 2016 meeting of LSA (the Linguistic Society of America).
- Invitation to take part in the project on ‘Derivational Networks’ organised by Professor Pavol štekauer, P.J. Safarik University, Košice, Slovakia.
Expert reviewer at the National Science Centre SONATA funding scheme advertised by the National Science Centre, Kraków, Poland, December 2015.
Invited keynote speaker at the 2nd International Conference on Literature and Linguistics (ICOLL 2016), Rome, Italy, July 14-16, 2016.
Member of the Nordic Association of Linguists (President)
Member of the Linguistics Associations of Great Britain (LAGB)
Former Member of the MIND Association
Former Member of the European Foundation of Logic, Language and Information (EFoLLI)
Member of the Association for Linguistic Typology (ALT)
Member of the Linguistic Society of America (LSA)
Member of Societas Linguistica Europaea (SLE)
Member of Gesellschaft für Sprache und Sprachen, GeSuS e.V.
Scientific focus areas:
Scientific focus areas: formal syntax, formal semantics, typology, historical linguistics, word formation, language and logic/mathematics, text style and genre, rhetoric and argumentation theory.